Anyone still out there? Anyone got some advice to give this new (6 month) mom? I've got some questions rolling around in my head and could use some outside opinions. All answers, even guesses, accepted gratefully.
- What do other kids moms send their kids for lunch at daycare/preschool? I have run out of ideas. One, even a little one, can only eat so much ravioli and vienna sausages.
- How long do you let your toddler sit on the floor and pout/whine about nothing before you make her get up and rejoin the day?
- How do you teach a toddler NOT to throw her plate full of food onto the floor?
- When is a toddler ready to move from a crib to a toddler bed?
Now I have a big one. I am looking for any advice, or reassurance, especially from new adoptive families.
- Has anyone traveled away from their children for business, leaving their other half to take care of EVERYTHING while you were gone?
I am about to take my first work related trip away from T-baby and I am terrified. I know somehow T-baby and DH will survive without me, but I think that is one of the things I am most worried about. How will T-baby react when she realizes I am gone and how will she react when I get home? She is the best in the business when it comes to holding a grudge. I have been shunned for over 12 hours by just not picking her up from school. Any advice on how to ease away and back into our daily routine would be appreciated. (Kacey's mom, I need to hear from you!)
What else? Oh...
- How do you explain the Easter Bunny to a 19 month old?
Thanks for reading and responding.
7 comments:
What do other kids moms send their kids for lunch at daycare/preschool? I have run out of ideas. One, even a little one, can only eat so much ravioli and vienna sausages. YOU MAY SEND CHEESE SLICES AND HAM SLICES WITH CRACKERS. YOU MAY SEND FRUIT WITH DIP. IF SHE EATS WELL WITH A UTENSIL YOU COULD SEND MAC AND CHEESE.
How long do you let your toddler sit on the floor and pout/whine about nothing before you make her get up and rejoin the day? I DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER FOR THAT ONE...SORRY
How do you teach a toddler NOT to throw her plate full of food onto the floor? MAYBE THE CONSEQUENSE SHOULD BE THAT IF SHE THROWS HER PLATE ON THE FLOOR YOU WILL FEED HER YOURSELF...AGAIN JUST GUESSING
When is a toddler ready to move from a crib to a toddler bed. WHEN THEY CRAWL OUT OF THE CRIB.
Hope this helps. I hope Kacey's mom gets back to you soon about the traveling.
Well, as to throwing her food on the floor, you can let her think she's not getting any more. Clean up the mess, take it away, let her sit in her high chair with the rest of the family while they eat? Don't yell, don't punish, just let the consequences speak for themselves? Just a thought. Offer her a different plate of the same stuff when she indicates she's hungry later.
The pouting? That's a tough one. The parents as teachers lady said to let them pout for a while then try distraction. Go play with the best toy in the house and see if you get any interest. Doesn't always work, but worth a shot.
We didn't really explain the Easter Bunny when our daughter was 19 mo. We just let her love all the candy and fun. :-)
Good luck,
Another China Mom
I have a 5 moms in my night class at Lee College so I took a poll with your questions...
For lunches try - Gerber graduates, lunchables
Let her pout/whine until she stops.
Throwing food on the floor: Have her clean it up and explain why we shouldn't throw food on the floor.
Crib to bed: When you see the leg going over the rail it's time for the bed.
Easter bunny: watch easter bunny videos, dye eggs, egg hunt - what did you say about Santa Claus?
Business Trip: Tell Ty you are going on a business trip. Make a visual so she can move an object each day your gone so she can see what day you come back.
Anyway - I hope this helps!
M
I went out of town for a long weekend after being home about 10 months. I started calling Sarah all the time every time I ran somewhere and she stayed home with my husband. Every time I had a chance to call her from somewhere I did. I also told her that Mama always comes home. It actually went better than I thought and it was more difficult for me than for her. She had a blast. In our case, she didn't shun me at all when I got back and gave me hugs and kisses...she was happy to see me. I hope it works out okay for you guys!
Robin
Lunch ideas: yogurt or low sugar pudding, jelly sandwich, cheerios, meat and cheese, fruit. I have a feeling that my daughter is so busy socializing, she doesn't really notice.
Duration of pouting/whining: I just let her do it, and start doing my own thing. When she realizes she doesn't have my attention, she comes around.
Throwing food: I never had that happen, but like the idea of just taking it away and making her stay with the family while you eat.
Toddler from crib to bed: I always heard when they start trying to climb out of their crib, it's time to move them to a bed. Our daughter never tried to climb out, so at 2, we just moved her to a bed because it became too difficult to pick her up and put her in the crib.
Travel: I do it all the time, and was very nervous the first time. But it all works out. My daughter doesn't hold grudges, so I don't know how that will work out. But hopefully she'll just be excited to see you. Maybe bring her a small toy from the place you travel to? The way I look at it: It's tough, but if it's part of your work-life and must be done, then it must be done.
Easter bunny: assuming she's scared, just let her know he's not mean. But if she's still scared, just let her know she doesn't have to go near him. He should be used to it ;o)
Good luck!
Pam (Monelle's cousin, mother of a 4-year old from Guandong province)
As for the trip. Do a video for her and have your husband play it every day for Ty. Call her daily, leave her little toys to open each day.
As for the Easter Bunny. Try one of the children's books. I am not going to go into too much detail for our 22 month old.
As for food. Canned coin sized carrots, cheese pieces, gerber graduates, mac and cheese in a small thermos, small pieces of lunchmeat, baby crackers, dole fruit cups.
As for the plate throwing. Try tell her no throwing. Do not give her anything else to eat. Go on with dinner.
When to go to a toddler bed. If she is trying to get out of the crib,then move her. Put a gate on the bedroom door to prevent nighttime wandering.
As for pouting. I would try to ignor it and go about doing things, near by.
Good Luck.
Adoptive mom x3
LOL...this had me going as we've only been home 1month and experiencing similar stuff with our 21 mo old. Throwing food? The dustbuster has been moved closer to the table. We do the "take away" dish thing and must wait until we finish, and it works very well. 50% of the time she wants her food back.
I've been brainstorming some lunchie items for she'll be entering a school next month. Hummus on a pita
Egg salad
Devilled eggs
Cheese sandwiches
Veggies and dip
I'm not a vegan, but there's this fantastic blog that I visit to see a Mom's devotion to her son's lunches. Check out the archives, you'll get some ideas, and will be blown away by how she comes up with these ideas. A lot different than the days our Mom's would make us lunches.
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com
Post a Comment