Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Jan 18, 2006

Have you seen this baby?

I've read other blogs or group posts about people having visions of the children that are waiting for them. They describe where they come from, how they look, how old they are. Is this wishful thinking or do these people really have that connection? How can I form a vision when I know absolutely nothing about what to expect?!

I know some people constantly think about where their children are now and who is caring for them. I can't quite wrap my mind around this. Maybe by not dwelling on these things I allow myself the luxury of, I don't know, breathing! If I started spinning these scenarios I would lose my mind. It's kind of like messing with the space-time continuum or something. It seems best left undisturbed.

I am also amazed by families that have already named their unknown child. They know nothing about them yet they have chosen a name. They form a connection around that name. Sometimes I envy their initiative. When the referral picture comes, the face in the picture becomes that name. I guess most people chose a name for their child while pregnant, so this is really no different.

I like to believe the experience of adoption is an adventure that will unfold as we come upon the events and milestones. We have been given the rare opportunity to see/meet our child and match her name to her expressions and personality. We accept this challenge whole-heartedly. And if no vision appears in my mind that convinces me differently, I will not lose sleep trying to imagine her life now - we will wait and experience her presence and try to connect a name to the real child in our arms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this is rather late, but I was just sent this beautiful site from a proud grandmother to be. This entry reminded me so of the first time I laid eyes on my adopted son of 2 1/2. I had only three days to get used to the fact that I was going to be a mother, much less what his name was. Through these 30+ years my baby has been called Shannon, Michael, Mikey, that d*** teenage driver, son, husband and now Daddy. He called on Friday to reveal the approaching birth of his second 'yet to be named' child. I am a proud mother and grandmother. My hopes and prayers are with you in this miraculous experience to come!