Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Oct 11, 2006

Getting To Know You

"An episode of hiccups sometimes results from over stimulation."
     ~ excert from an internet site on baby development


Tyler has had the hiccups at some point everyday for 4 days now!

--------------------------



Things we have learned about Tyler this week:
  1. She knows more sounds/words then she has been sharing with us. Yesterday she flipped through a book and continued to say a word over an over. It was the first time she showed interest in "reading" a book and the first time we heard that word!
  2. She loves to put her shoes on because it means we are going somewhere that she can walk around. She loves to walk around!
  3. She hates to wear her shoes if she is not walking! She habitually takes off her shoes and socks while sitting in her carseat.
  4. She doesn't mind the carseat. Although trips longer than 5 minutes tend to put her to sleep.
  5. She does not like ham in her congee.
  6. She does not like a regular nap time. Some days she naps early, some days she prefers 2 naps, some days she likes one long nap in the afternoon. We are hoping that this is still a jetlag adjustment. Thankfully napping does not affect her full nights sleep - just the grumpiness factor for the day!

Things Tyler has learned about us:
  1. If I continue to giggle, mama & dada will continue to jump around and act silly.
  2. If mama is frustrated, a coy little grin will lighten her mood.
  3. Dada is a pushover for a wave and a kiss!
  4. Mama doesn't like to play games when it is time for bed!
  5. When it comes to silly noises, faces, or laughs - dada can't be beat.
  6. Dada & mama snack on my treats almost as much as I do!

--------------------------

I found this congee recipe on another blog. Tyler loves it and it is sooo simple.

Fill a saucepan with 4 cups of water and 4-5 tablespoons of medium grain rice. Bring to a rapid boil. Stir. Lower heat but leave at a good simmer. Cover but leave the lid slightly ajar so the rice won't bubble up. Continue to simmer for 45-50 minutes.

I make it at night and then put it in the fridge to reheat in the microwave for breakfast. It makes about 5 or 6 servings. I use 5 tablespoons of rice which makes it thicker, but Tyler likes it that way. You may want to use less rice if you want it more runny. Sometimes I add a little chopped or ground meat before reheating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what congee is, but I love the pictures and reading your messages about Tyler and your family.

Theresa