Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Oct 1, 2006

No Place Like Home

There's no place like home... there's no place like home... there's no place like home!

Okay, so I'm a really happy to be home. I can brush my teeth with faucet water and I can actually sit on a toilet instead of squat over a hole. You don't realize how much these things mean until you don't have the comfort anymore. China was an experience I wouldn't trade for the world, but there are certain things a gal just needs to feel good.

We are all still suffering from jet lag, but are slowly starting to pull through it. DH is having the hardest time and he has to be back at work tomorrow. I know he is not looking forward to spending so many hours away from Ty. We have both become accustomed to being with her 24/7. I am excited about the prospect of staying at home with her for the next few months. At this point I am glad that I decided to take this time, but we will see how stir crazy I become after a few weeks at home. I have already taken T-baby to Target and Walmart so I'm not sure what else is left to do!

Ty is adjusting great to her new surroundings. She is such a trooper. She seems to like her room and of course all the toys. I think she gets a little overwhelmed by so much to do, so we are trying to bring things out in small doses. The best thing in her room by far is the rocking chair. I can now accomplish in about two minutes of rocking what it took me 15-20 minutes of walking the halls to do. She is out almost instantly when I sit down. Rocking chairs should be mandatory in all hotels supporting adoptive parents!

Are biggest hurdle is the dogs (and we knew it would be). Good news is that she is not scared of them, bad news is that she is not very fond of having them both right in her face! Our boxer Saydee is desperately trying to mother her. She wants to be where ever Ty is and she wants to lick her constantly. Ty is not a big fan of the licking, but she is getting used to it. They have, however, bonded over that childhood staple - Cheerios. She dropped a few and saw the dog eat them off the floor so decided to just give them directly to her. Seems to be working out just fine. Our other dog Buddy is not so sure of the situation. Whenever she is around he barks. His tail is wagging so we are not to concerned, but we are also not quite ready to get them too close. I'm sure time will work out this pack-bonding, but we hope it hurries since it is hard to share our time between the baby and the dogs.

Yesterday morning at 5:00am when none of us could sleep, we discovered our first TV babysitting show... Boobah! T-baby LOVES it. The DH and I are convinced that an ex-hippy that had one too many hallucinogenic drugs teamed up with a frat boy to be the mastermind behind the show. And if you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out. There are these blob like colored creatures with only eyes and no face that spin around and make farting noises. At least that is our interpretation!

We obviously need to work on getting a schedule and filling our days with activities other than kids TV shows. But for now we are happy just to be a family at home.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Glad you all are safe and HOME. You made me laugh a few times. I have already started squats to strengthen up the old legs to conquer the "squatty potty" experience without falling over or having a cramp. LID 4/12/06, So I have time to work on the legs muscles.

And Boohbah is exactly what you said! But man, the kids go nuts over it. Grandpa-pa and Grandma-ma became part of our family for months along with Mr. Man and Mr. Lady! Tyler is getting a good does of American TV.

Good luck with the jet-lag...there is no other feeling like it. And soon it will all be a far off dream.

Thanks for sharing your journey. I never thought I could fall in love with a child I have never met, but I did Tyler! The travel posts were dynamite and have a spoon or two if you'd like to borrow, hell, I would give them to you. I am anxious to meet Peter myself and know better then to let him board a plane before me....no matter what! Good job getting through all the battles, and warning us that have yet to travel.

Jenn
IFS waiting family LID 4/12

Anonymous said...

So glad you guys are home safe. I love the pic of Tyler with the dogs. It looks like everything is going well for you. I can't wait to meet Tyler. Have been showing everyone here at work her pics when they stop by. Some of the vendors have seen them. (People who knew Steve). Showing the guys in the field as well that know Steve.
Get some rest!

Kathy L.

Michele said...

establishing a schedule will help your stir-crazies for sure. I am an athome daycare provider and I NEED a schedule otherwise I go nuts with boredom.

Hvae you taken Tyler to the library? Most have a toddler storytime. Its also a great place to meet other parents.