Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Jan 31, 2007

I Got My Craft On

I have joined a group of crafters that are determined to do crafty things. Eact month a new project will be chosen. Participants will then put it to their own interpretation and complete a project in the span of that month. What hooked me in was the following statement:
It doesn't have to be perfect. The purpose of this crafting adventure is to actually get off our butts and do it.

January project: Bag

So here is my bag in all it's "doesn't have to be perfect" glory! I used heavy felt for the main fabric with a cheap polyester imitaion snake skin fabric for the lining. I hand sewed on the felt astericks.




Lessons learned:
  • Next time use a pattern. - I just start cutting. That's what I do. It is especially noticable on the handle where parts are thicker than others. Cutting straight lines has never been one of my top skills.
  • Handles are not afterthoughts. - I sewed in the lining before I sewed on the handles. The lining is now stitched to the outside.
  • Rectangular bags need support if you want them to stay rectangular.
  • Waiting until the last minute/day of the month to finish a project takes some of the fun out of crafting. It was like being in school and cramming for a big test the next day.
All in all, it was a fun project. I like the bag. Will I use it? Probably not, but I like it!

To see other bags go here. Can't wait to see what the February project will be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's TOTALLY cute in all of it's 'unperfectness'! I love it!!!