Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Mar 3, 2007

Happy CNY Again!

Tonight was the FCC-Houston Chinese New Year Celebration. What fun! The food was fabulous. The shows were fun. The drive was long. And the friends were plentiful. What fun I had. (Except for the drive!) Minus lots of details, here is my evening in review:

We started by driving forever down an endless road of traffic lights but eventually we made it. Finally the fun could begin. Mama made let me wear this cool pink silk top with my jeans. You may have noticed the hula-hoop. This was my entertainment of choice for the evening. A big thank you goes out to whomever decided to bring these along.



While I was hanging in the toddler play area a booming voice let us know it was time to begin the festivities..



Let the show begin. And begin it did. With an incredibly large blown up pig. (Year of the Pig!) It was so cool that I had to go up and get a closer look. I guess the audience liked me (or the pig) because they started to clap. So I turned around and clapped back at 'em!



Then they let all the kids come up to see the pig and give the parents photo ops. I saw this woman who kept talking to the back of the pig. Somehow she was opening the back and telling the pig secrets. I watched (like I do) then decided to try for myself. Maybe I could make them clap again!



This didn't go over to well with the woman behind the pig!

No worry it was time to eat! So we headed to our table where we got to sit with some old and new friends. There were two other little girls at the table all decked out in red silk outfits. They were only a little older than me, but none of us were real interested in chit-chat. It was time to eat! I could have enjoyed my meal more if Mama would have stopped trying to take my picture!



After dinner of course was the lion dancers. Wait, did I mention that the food was fabulous? Okay back to the lion dancers. I thought they were a bit flashy but fun to watch for a minute. What I really enjoyed was the big drum they kept beating while the lion danced. Where can I get one of those drums?



After a few minutes dancing to the drum beat, I ventured back for a last twirl around the hula-hoop area. Then we got back in the car for a long drive back. I was way to excited to sleep. What fun I had.

3 comments:

atomic mama said...

Coolness! Ours was last night, too, and looks pretty similar. Although not nearly as fun without a kid. And asigned to set-up duty. And food service. And clean-up... Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun! Wish I could have been there. I had to go to California though. Maybe actually next time I can be there and we will have our daughter. Here's hoping!

She's too cute with that hoola-hoop.

Anonymous said...

It's great that you are keeping her familiar with her culture. Looks like a great time you had.