Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Mar 29, 2006

Lucky Sighting

It rained today in the Houston area. Wait, let's start the story right...

It was a dark and dreary day in the small suburb of Houston. The air was humid and thick like a steam suana at the local YMCA after b-ball practice. The skies were filled with low-hanging clouds that rumbled a deep, growl of thunder as the lightning lit up the darkness in a quick flash of brilliance. The city was still, as the rain took over the streets and drove the people indoors.

Up on the third floor of a glass-plated building, a lowly office worker took a break from staring at her computer. She unintentionally rolled her office chair away from the desk and closer to the window. Standing to stretch, she reached her arms into the air and took in a big breath of recycled air, and sighed. The world outside was miserable. The rain left streaks of droplets down the glass as she gazed outside into the low-visibility clouds.

Suddenly it appeared! Out of the corner of her eye she saw it. Fluttering at first, then still. She focused in closely in disbelief... a ladybug! A ladybug had landed in the rain stained window of the third floor building. As quick as it appeared, it disappeared. Back into the rain, back into the sky, back into the big, crazy suburb that was hiding from the weather.

The office worker's heart skipped a beat as she finally took in a breath. A ladybug? In this weather? She must be imagining. No, it was there, she had seen it. She had witnessed that small red and black bug land on the window, hang-on for a brief second, then fly away. That little luck-carrying bug had finally made an appearance!

It was a sign. The office worker knew it. Luck was now on her side and good news would follow soon. In the world of Chinese adoption, ladybugs were a symbol that good news was coming and she knew in an instant that luck had shown itself today.

The office worker sat down, pondered this glimpse into the cosmic world of fate, and came up with the best glass half-full notion she could muster. Referrals must be coming. Her referral would no doubt show up eventully. The ladybug had shown her the way. She now had hope and the will to continue her tedious wait since the end was coming... closer today than yesterday. At last.

The heavy clouds began to seperate and the sun's yellow glow began to dry the earth. The office worker smiled briefly and turned away from the window. She sat back down at her desk and began to work, happy in the knowledge that one day soon she would be looking out a window in China with a baby in her arms.

The end.

Okay, a little cheesy, but I couldn't just let a ladybug sighting go by unannounced. I figure I'll take some pressure off the little guy and give him a few more months to work his magic. But if I'm still waiting months down the road, I'm gonna find that *#&%$ bug and ... :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

If we wait more than a couple of months I'll send you a can of Raid.

Julie (your July 8th buddy)

Anonymous said...

I just know your "ladybug" sighting was not by chance! Now you have me looking for ladybugs everywhere I go, and I have found them. Last week I visited Events (a very unique but overpriced store) and saw the cutest little set of child dishes with "LADYBUGS" all over them. They were white with green stripes (just the shade of green you and I both like) and ladybugs scattered around. Hmmm....looks like a painting project I could do. Then just today I was checking out at the big W store, and there was a little Easter basket shaped just like a ladybug! Is this just a coincidence....hmmmmm...we'll see.

Nana