Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Jun 10, 2006

Cake in a Box

Yesterday at work, one of my headquarters representatives showed up at my office. She was in town for an unscheduled meeting. She had a shoe box in hand as she entered my office. Pleasant greetings and how are ya doing's were exchanged, then I inquired about the box. She presented me with the nondescript shoe box and told me to open it. What was inside? A homemade Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Coffee Cake. This woman, this wonderful woman, had baked me a cake and transported it all the way from Virginia in a shoe box. If you have never had shoebox cake, I strongly recommend it. Yummy.

The story...In April I was working a booth at a convention with another colleague, my headquarters rep and two teachers. Loooooooooong story short, my HQ rep had her purse stolen out of the booth and I helped her through it - the chaos, the anger, the tears, the bumbling security guards, the not to bright rent-a-cop, the recovery, and the train ride back to the hotel. During the recovery phase, I treated my HQ rep to several (very strong) drinks. Her and one of the teachers got into a debate over who makes the best deserts and I quickly volunteered to be the judge. Well, the cake in a box is a thank you for my support during a crisis situation and the official first entry in the "Who Makes the Best Desert" contest.



* Contestant #2 better make an outstanding desert and get it to me fast, or I'll be forced to declare my HQ rep's Cake in a Box the hands-down winner. And yes, it's as good as it looks!

No comments: