Scene: The 10 Item or less Express Lane at HEB. The time is 8:30 pm. The store is fairly empty.
The check-out boy looks at me for no particular reason while he is scanning the items of the lady in front of me...
Clerk: Does that lady have more than 10 items. (The clerk nods his head towards the lady behind me.) I think she has more than 10 items.
Me: (looking around) What's the big deal. There is no one in line behind her.
Clerk: But what if someone gets in line behind her.
Me: Well, they could get in the line next to us since that guy has no one in line.
Clerk: I could get in trouble if I check her out and she has more than 10 items. She can only have 10 items in this line.
(The clerk finishes with the lady in front and starts to scan my items.)
Me: Damn. I appear to have 11 items. I guess I won't buy this. (I hand him an item out of my cart.)
Clerk: (studdering, embarrassed) Sorry, I mean I didn't mean you had to put your things back. Really, you can get this.
Me: (smiling) No, I don't want you to get in trouble. I will only get these 10 items.
(The clerk finishes checking me out in silence.)
Lady behind me with 15 Items: (After putting all her items on the counter she holds up a handful of Top Ramen Noodles) Do these count as 1 or 10 items?
*Truth be told I had already decided not to buy a roll of wrapping paper that I had picked up but I didn't want to take it all the way back to the other side of the store and I hate those people that leave stuff all over the store where they don't belong and besides I just couldn't resist messing with the check-out guy!
No comments:
Post a Comment