Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Sep 22, 2006

Mornings Turn into Days

Wow, sorry for the lack of info. (Quick look to the left. There's a really quick Ty fix to keep you going until the end of this post.) I just have no real concept of time on this trip. I keep thinking "oh, I'll post in the morning" and next thing you know it's almost 2 days later. Oops. Okay so, quick update and then on to the pictures.

We left Hefei on Thursday night. Our guide was able to fast-track the babies passports so we could get to Guangzhou early. He did us a favor. Although I wouldn't trade the time we spent in our daughters hometown, it is a pretty boring place for visitors. Actually I bet there was lots to do, but we just never found any of it. We had a little spoon issue at the hotel and had to pay for 2 spoons that could not be found when our rooms were cleaned. We were there for 4 nights and neither one of us ever saw a spoon in our room. To save the hassle we paid for the spoons, but may have made a few remarks under our breath. In the US, I would have raised a ruckus, here we just did what we could to avoid incident.

The plane ride to Guangzhou was fairly uneventful - wrong! Back up a little... before we even got on the plane we had issues at the gate! I was holding Ty and DH handed the lady our boarding passes. My ticket - ding... DH ticket - ding... Ty's ticket - bong! Not a good sound. After several tries to rescan the ticket we were asked to step aside so everyone else could board. Did I mention that our guide (that speaks Chinese) and the other 2 families were already onboard the plane? We waited, listened, couldn't understand, panicked a little, cursed our guide for leaving us, smiled, entertained Ty, showed her passport, showed our passports, waited, smiled, waited, cursed quietly, almost cried from frustration (that was me - lots of emotions on this trip) and then finally were allowed to board. Last ones on, but we made it. Ty became cranky and bored before the flight was over. We were both exhausted before it was over. We suspect the boarding pass incident might be linked to the spoon incident. I think we've been tagged us trouble! :)

Anyway we arrived in Guangzhou, what a different city. We are no longer the only Americans with Chinese babies in tow. We are now part of the majority. The hotel is beautiful and definitely lives up to its reputation. It took us a while to get internet, so that is my excuse for not posting. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I am constantly interacting with the newest member of our family. That said, more updates later (look for the medical exam, shopping and dim sum) more pictures now!



View out our window in Hefei.



Park across the street from hotel in Hefei.



I could go for a walk in the park. This stroller idea is not so bad!



Two opinions of our new family on one bench.



Off-roading with dad!




Light change at the intersection. Free-for-all.



Hanging with my new buddies. I'm the youngest, but the biggest!



Coming at ya soon with more fun!




It's been a busy day - I'm done!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were reading all of our minds! We were craving a Tyler fix. I just emailed you - not sure if you have time to check that! Thanks for the update and stay out of trouble there!

Anonymous said...

You guys already look like old pros at this. Parenthood suits you very well. We are loving all the pics you are sending. Tell Steve to cool it with the stroller off road. We all know too well how much he crashes on his own. He's not at Jack Brooks park! Have a very good weekend and keep those post coming. Thanks for the Tyler fix!

Alan Brehm said...

Good morning Tyler.
Thanks so much for the updates Traci. Im so very happy for you. Tyler has the greatest Mom and Dad.I am so in love. Can't begin to imagine how you guys must feel.

Aunt Kristi