Blogger was blocked in China. I am recreating the journey to Eli by adding and backdating posts starting on Dec 19. Will take a little time.

Sep 11, 2006

The Powers That Be

Yesterday the powers that be decided that I should have no pants!

The morning started innocently enough. Up and out of bed early to do last minute house cleaning. Our homestudy update was scheduled for 10:00am. Of course it rained so the dogs were leaving muddy footprints all over the floor! But short of a few butterflies in the stomach, we were ready enough! 10:05am - hmmm. 10:15am - I hope she didn't get lost. 10:30pm - Should we call? 10:45am - Are you sure you got the time right? 11:00am - Gosh I hope something didn't happen! 11:17am - The phone rings. She forgot our appointment! OOPS!

Okay, no big deal. Still plenty of time left in the day to be productive. Closing in on lunchtime so I decided to make a quick stop at Old Navy for pants then hop across the street for a Burrito Bol at Chipolte's. Yum.

So I get to Old Navy. I need a pair of pants to take on our TRIP TO CHINA, something comfy and basic so I can wear them several times! I had already seen the pair I wanted so just a quick trip to try them on and I'm on my way! (This is where the thunder crashes in the background) (Actually figuratively and literally!) I found the pants in my size, went into the dressing room, tried on the pants and a cute top I saw hanging nearby, and proceeded to check the fit in the mirror... Now you see them - now you don't!!

They didn't even flicker. The lights that is. They went off. Total Darkness. I stood there for a minute waiting for them to come back on, but nope, they were done! Then a nice retail girl wearing that over the ear microphone/earpiece thing came back and said that someone was telling her thatI had to come out and go to the front of the store. Thank goodness I got the pants on before the lights decided to leave me stranded in darkness.

So up to the front of the store I went. I could see the rain pouring down outside. There were several other little pockets of people standing around waiting for the lights to return so they could get on with their shopping. So I waited. And waited. And waited some more. Did I mention that I'm on a short schedule these days...

Finally I found that nice retail girl with the over the ear microphone/earpiece thing and convinced her that I needed to change into MY clothes so I could leave the store. She found a flashlight and led me back to the changing room where I found my clothes and got dressed. Out the door I went, into the rain, and across the street for my lunch burritos. Temporarily closed due to power outage! ACK!

I wish the story ended there, but alas, I really need a pair of pants for our TRIP TO CHINA! So a few hours later I go back. Every store in the strip center is open, lights on, and lots of people. Old Navy is dark! Closed.

I'm not going home until I get pants! I tried the store next door. I know, I know, I'm a gluten for punishment. I actually found several pairs of pants that might work. Into the dressing room I go. Tried on the first pair - really tight - I can't even get them over my hips. Hmmm! Try the next pair - even tighter! That's right, both pairs of pants were the misplaced in the wrong size section.

Enough. I get it. No pants!*

* To the horror of millions of Chinese people, I will be wearing shorts or capris in China. Break out your sunglasses, cuz my legs are blindingly white!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I have no pants to bring either, it's going to be too darn hot to wear anything but shorts and capris! I will have my sunglasses and large supply of razors--see you soon!

Julie said...

By the way, this time next week we will be Mothers...just a little FYI!